We are so appreciative when families and girls ask this question. We
share your desire to find the best camp experiences possible, and for
this reason, we offer a rich progression of sessions. You can choose
from a variety of options – from day camp and mini-residential options
to shorter sessions, weekend sessions with your troop, or traditional,
weeklong and multi-week overnight sessions. Girl Scout camp has
something for every level of readiness!
Although age plays a big role in determining a camper’s readiness for overnight/resident camp, maturity and openness to a new adventure are also important. We suggest reviewing and discussing the following list of skills and abilities to decide what is best.
- I can ask for help when needed.
- I can follow directions in a group setting.
- I’m excited to make new friends.
- I’m comfortable being outdoors in nature.
- I have been away from home overnight.
- I take a shower and brush my teeth by myself.
- I’m good at keeping track of my personal belongings.
- I’m good at using my camp equipment (i.e., water bottle, mess kit, sunscreen, etc.)
If you and your camper decide she's not ready for a full week of resident camp, consider the day camp or the mini-resident camp (3 days/2 nights) options at The Parsons Leadership Center, or troop camp or Daisy & Me at Shadow Rim.